What happens to an abandoned church?
Many abandoned churches have been converted into vineyards, breweries, or pubs. Others have been transformed into hotels, B&Bs, and Airbnbs.
What should you not do in an abandoned church?
- Exploring Abandoned Churches: A Guide
- If you’re going alone, leave the flashlight at home. You’ll be exposed to stuff you don’t want to see.
- Bring no more than 12 people in a group.
- Bring some snacks and water, but no wine.
- If you must sleep there, do so in the sanctuary rather than on a pew.
- If you try to read the hymnal, the words will no longer be in English.
- Until you confess, the Bibles will remain blank.
- Do not enter the confessional. You don’t want to know who the man talking to you is since he isn’t the priest.
- Don’t stare at the cross on the wall for too long because it will move.
- Do not approach someone who is praying at the altar. Don’t talk to them if they approach you. Leave right away.
- If you hear the organ playing in the basement, you know you’re running out of time.
- Your time is up if it plays while you’re in the sanctuary.
- Take everything you want, but if one of your belongings goes missing, don’t go looking for it. Allow them to have it. It’s not worth risking your life for.
- If you come upon a rosary, don’t wear it. It’s not going to help.
- The water is no longer sacred. It won’t work if you throw it at the shadow demons.
- If you don’t want to go, drink the wine.
- Make sure you don’t lose touch with your buddies.
- If you stay the night, depart before daybreak or you’ll be sent to another plane of
- existence with no way back.
- If you’re not staying the night, exit through the same doors you entered.
- If you turn back after leaving, you could notice that the church is no longer there. It
- indicates that they obtained what they want.
- Never go back to the same abandoned church. Even if you forgot anything inside
- (particularly if you forgot something inside). That’s an enticement. They’ll know enough
- about you on your second trip to keep you there
Why are churches being abandoned?
The painted walls of recently abandoned churches remain vivid, with chairs carefully set for
worshipers who may return soon. Whether urbanization causes fewer people to visit a rural
church or an antique chapel that has been ravaged by time, most churches close due to a lack of
What does an abandoned church mean?
An abandoned place or building is no longer used or occupied.
Beautiful Abandoned Churches Around the World
Few things are as haunting and evocative as stunning abandoned locations. From their lofty
ceilings to their sometimes-shattered stained-glass windows, churches in particular have an eerie
beauty. Abandoned houses of worship may be found all throughout the world, some of which
welcome visitors and others which are fenced off owing to their dangerous state.
Here are 25 abandoned churches that are both spectacular and melancholy, ranging from an
eerily clean church that was evacuated after the 1986 Chernobyl accident to an Old West-style
church still standing in a California ghost town that appears like it’s frozen in time.
- Aulne abbey (Belgium)
- Methodist church (Bannack, Montana)
- Methodist church (Bodie, California)
- Church of San Bonaventura (Italy)
- Church of the Holy Redeemer (Turkey)
- City Methodist church (Gary, Indiana)
- Doroth’s Catholic church (Canada)
- Dunlewey church (Ireland)