The Westmoreland Glass
Enter the Westmoreland Glass, an abandoned glass manufacturer located in Jeanette, Pennsylvania.
The Westmoreland Glass Company was founded in 1889 as the Westmoreland Speciality Company, and initially focused on producing bottles for storing condiments. However, with the discovery of natural gas in the area, the company was able to expand its operations by using the gas to heat its kilns. In an effort to attract employees to the rural location, the company even offered free natural gas to its employees for use in their company-owned homes. This helped to create a strong sense of community within the company, as employees were able to take advantage of this generous benefit while also being able to live close to where they worked. The company’s success can be attributed in part to this innovative approach to attracting and retaining employees, and it continues to thrive today as a result.
Range of glass products, including lights, containers, knobs, and vases. In the late 1940s, the company gained a reputation for its distinctive milk glass products, which were made with a nearly opaque, whitish glass. However, the company faced a series of challenges in the late 1950s and early 1960s that led to a decline in domestic glass production. One of the main factors was the introduction of plastics for food and drink containers, which made these products cheaper and more convenient for consumers. Additionally, labor costs in the glass industry were rising, and cheaper imports from other countries were also making it difficult for domestic companies to compete. In an effort to adapt to these changing market conditions, Westmoreland Glass shifted its focus from milk glass to colored glass in the mid-1960s. Despite these efforts, the company ultimately declared bankruptcy and folded in 1984.
More Info abandonedonline.net